Saturday 14 May 2016

How To Deal with Singlehood Frustrations



Greeting!!! Welcome back to my media space. Its FEEL GOOD MAY when this blog is celebrating the second anniversary. As a way of marking the second birthday, the month of May is set aside for reflection of the two years’ journey. The first of the reflections was on bossing our feelings when pursuing our vision and dreams, click here to read it. Finally, this marks the fifty first article. Put it into context, at least two article every forty night. This is awesomely good! In the last two years I’ve avoided talking about my personal affairs unless it was personification for the purposes of bring clarity in my writing. I did understand that doing so would not leave me vulnerable in the blog-sphere and so expect what I was on the public domain, I completely ignored other information that was unnecessary.

SINGLE-HOOD AND FRUSTRATIONS
But wait, two years later, with a number of articles that were received well on my views of perfect romantic relationships, I am still single and to some extent am beginning to trace some sense of ‘frustration”. I have spent the entire of my 20* years being single minus a short stint relating with a lady which am not sure if we had agreed to relate. Take another context; I’ve gone through 3 years in college and 1 year Post College without hooking up with a lady. During those last four years it is when there is some urgency, pressure and a deep desire to search and find completion in someone else and also in ourselves. For that reason, it’s during this period of being single, that you oscillate between being perfectly hopelessly romantically unattached to happily single individual. At times you are tempted and stirred to awaken love and other times you are torn between your freedoms, anxieties and doubts. Times you are confident and enjoying your single hood but at the same frustrated its not and might never work for you - romantic relationship. And so you struggle between what’s familiar in single hood including your pride, control, priorities and greed with hesitation to embrace romance as an option that starves fear, pride and greed.


Being single when you are approaching your mid-twenties in this generation where no one wants to be “alone” is quite a challenging task especially when you are required to explain your single hood status. I mean when you are with your peers who settled on a lady and they are either married or about to get married, you just wonder, are you becoming a bit choosy or not strategically positioned to interact with potentially good and fair ladies? And so the easiest route and advice these friends give you is “go easier on the ladies” you are not strong and capable on your own though you are want to be independent. At such times it dawns on you that the excitement you had on romantic relationships is beginning to fade as you interact with guys with different viewpoints of true and authentic romantic relationships.

DISTORTED IMAGE OF LOVE AND ROMANCE
Take this example, a couple of weeks ago I had a conversation with Jane* in her desk. Jane is a colleague who is probably two years younger than me. She is unmarried but has had four men in her life with whom two they have been sexually active. The current boyfriend works a bit far from where she lives and occasionally visits to spend “few nights” with her in Jane’s house. She then tells me that when her boyfriend spends more than a week in her house, she requests him to leave, Reason? Who wants to be someone’s wife anymore? You see dear readers, Jane thinks and believes that women are no longer able to live full time in the same house with a man, no wonder she cannot let him stay for more than a week. And she’s honest, she believes she can’t. She’s just a representative of many others like her whom the distortions of the truth regarding romantic relations have tendencies to frustrate our picture of what is romance in the picture of a lifelong commitment in the context to marriage.


The problem with this twisted truth about marriage is that it hurts the image of singleness as hub of vanity freedoms, security, safety and control. While true that singleness is a period when a person has full control of their own schedules, control and finances, singleness is also the greatest killer of strengths that exists in true love. Clinging on to single-hood threatens our abilities to grasp the beauty of being under the shadow of someone who cares for us to bring perfection for us. On one hand, the reluctance is refueled by lack trust and our unlearning of childhood education to keep off girls and boys.

CONCLUSION
In my deep frustrations of viewing myself as having being left behind, I have learnt to stare longer over the ocean waves and the expansive skies and deep darkness listening to their magic to understand the work of God being made manifest through them. In the uncertainty, when I just watch the anonymity of directions of the waves and I know the solution of my frustrations is not just in finding a spouse because I must be like my peers but to understand the perfect timing of seasons in life. I must alternate my swinging desires and excitement about romance with silence of expectation of better days and faithfulness during this season of being single. The last words I would cling to rather than my single-hood or romance is in the story of John Kavanaugh in a book Ruthless Trust by Brennan Manning. The brilliant ethicist John set out on journey to Calcutta city with the intent of finding “the best way to spend his remaining life”.

On the first morning he met with Mother Teresa she requested her to pray for him and when he was asked what he wanted the Nun to pray for her he said, “Pray that I may have clarity”. Mother Teresa declined to honor his prayer request and asked why, Mother Teresa answered, “Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and you must let go of”. For me that is a perfect answer to my search for a perfect and beautiful life. If I am searching to have clarity on whether I still want to love I must first let go of that desire and look beyond my trust and will and let it be. This will lift the heavy burden of finding endless answers in a painful process instead I should invest my efforts and heart on having the freedom to love and live fully. The summary of this as Brennan puts it is that there is a certain beauty that has learnt to trust eternally and that in all circumstance has no capacity to say, “note mine will, but God’s will”. This process requires raw honesty, authenticity and gratitude where we can maturely express our stale faith, sense to belong and doubts without being overwhelmed of the pleasures and pains that we are inflicted from the external world. We are able to progress from in obedience to our calling without ever complaining of our inadequacies of not having or having a romantic partner.


Read Articles: My entrepreneurial wife
                        The Girl I’ll propose to


Have a reflective life. Remember to stay in touch with me at jeremiahwakamu@gmail.com or on Facebook Jeremiaho Wakamu to keep this discussion going. And again referrals though you social media network/connection and word of mouth is the best you can do for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment